Tuesday 11 December 2012

[book review] Enclave by Ann Aguirre




Series: Razorland (1)

Paperback: 288 pages 
Published by: Square Fish, reprint (August 7, 2012)
My Copy: Local Charity shop

New York City has been decimated by war and plague, and most of civilization has migrated to underground enclaves, where life expectancy is no more than the early 20's. When Deuce turns 15, she takes on her role as a Huntress, and is paired with Fade, a teenage Hunter who lived Topside as a young boy. When she and Fade discover that the neighboring enclave has been decimated by the tunnel monsters--or Freaks--who seem to be growing more organized, the elders refuse to listen to warnings. And when Deuce and Fade are exiled from the enclave, the girl born in darkness must survive in daylight--guided by Fade's long-ago memories--in the ruins of a city whose population has dwindled to a few dangerous gangs. Ann Aguirre's thrilling young adult novel is the story of two young people in an apocalyptic world--facing dangers, and feelings, unlike any they've ever known.



So I've been on a Dystopia kick lately and let me tell you the books I've read so far have been absolutely AMAZEBALLS (not a term I normally use but in this case its necessary). The cover is pretty non de-script to be honest, there wasn't anything that pulled me in about it. I only read this because of the reviews of others, so basically it could have been... I want to say prettier but there's nothing pretty about this story so never mind.
The world setting was really, really good. Now this is what I'd imagine a post-apocalyptic world to be like all chaos and human's trying to scrounge together, trying to figure out a way to survive. The description of the freaks was just gross, and ok I'll admit it made me want to sleep with the light on. If this book ever becomes a film there is no way in hell I'd be able to watch it if they look as scary as they're described. This is definitely not for that faint stomached, its a lot more graphic than THG, what with the subject of rape and murder seeming so commonplace they're practically skipped over like they're no big deal.
There where a lot of inconsistencies in this book. Like one minute Deuce couldn't read and then when she went topside she was teaching Stalker to read. There's also the fact that Deuce has lived in the subways (don't even get me started on the wrongness of that) all her life, not feeling fresh air or even seeing the sun. But as she goes topside there's not really an adjustment period for her, apart from a little sun burn and needing sun glasses. It hurts my eyes when I wake up in the morning and the suns in my face, so how does a girl who's lived in total darkness (apart from the odd artificial light) adjust so easily to the blinding light of undiluted sunshine.
Well the Characters, what can I say about them. There's Deuce. Now wow is she feisty  At first she's all for the rules but slowly (and I mean slowly, it did take her a while) she figured out her elders weren't really totally honest with their enclave. She's a fighter that's for sure. Fade well I would have loved to know more about him, I never really felt connected to him because there just wasn't much to go on. He's more the silent, brooding type. He's also a total psycho, I don't know what happened to him after his father died (because we weren't told) but he just seemed like a nut job and to me. Now Stalker I actually liked, why I here you say. Well because even though he's a psycho as well and went around murdering and raping at least he was honest about it. He just came out and said he looks after number one, which is how I feel a lot of people would act in this kind of world.
Despite my obvious problems with this book I still loved it. There was just something that drew me in. The ending was just tres dull though, it felt like it just ended in the middle of something. No cliffhanger to make me anxious to get the next one, no little surprises hinting to what will happen in the next book. But I WILL be buying it. I can't not read it after that...


2 comments:

  1. Wow, I don't think I have seen anyone admit to liking Stalker! I too had some issues with this book but still loved it. I think the craziness of the characters is perfect for what the world is. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its not that I like him per se.. I mean come on he's kind of a mad man. Its just I knew who he was, he's the selfish brute who only looks out for himself. I wasn't as sure of the other characters.

      Delete